The Rise of Civilizations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My bets on the worlds Empires

4 posters

Go down

My bets on the worlds Empires Empty My bets on the worlds Empires

Post  Livid Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I bet that Avanti will have the largest Empire in the Bronze Age. Giwi or Daniel in the Iron, and err Unknown in the Ancient Epoch. Syan whilst having the potential to be an Empire will probably be too prosperous to ever have growing room.
Livid
Livid

Antal inlägg : 225
Registreringsdatum : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

My bets on the worlds Empires Empty Re: My bets on the worlds Empires

Post  TheVoice Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Intruiged - could you clarify "too prosperous to ever have growing room"?
TheVoice
TheVoice

Antal inlägg : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  Livid Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 pm

The geographical and social benefits that makes your area great, will also be you downfall. Its geographically open and central (good for trade and hordes), its fertile (good for population/tax, and envious eyes), it has very little nationalism, making great city states, but a divided and potentially weak area.

This means you will probably be under constant assault, whilst this will probably make immune to stagnation (if you survive) you will probably never build up enough momentum to be an Empire. A relevant state perhaps, but not a ground trembling empire.
Livid
Livid

Back to top Go down

Post  TheVoice Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Hmm. In counterpoint, I offer these considerations:

- Whilst open, it is dominated by several huge rivers, many smaller ones, as well as large swathes of swampland. Unlike straight-up plains territory it is full of defensible borders and natural choke-points.

- Whilst "central" in trade terms, it is peripheral geographically. The mountains and desert to the east, the sea to the south and the jungles and mountains of the interior to the south-west give it plenty of geographical anchors.

- The "constant assault" would most likely come from the north and north-west. The north-west is a long way off and attacks will be intermittent if serious, and the north is... well, handle-able. Razz

I think the bigger barriers to a Syannese empire at this point are to be found in the social and geo-political makeup of the Syannese world - there's no real impetus there for an empire yet.

I do see your point about Syan being a highly desirable region for any other empire that arises in its vicinity, though.
TheVoice
TheVoice

Antal inlägg : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  Livid Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 pm

TheVoice wrote:Hmm. In counterpoint, I offer these considerations:

- Whilst open, it is dominated by several huge rivers, many smaller ones, as well as large swathes of swampland. Unlike straight-up plains territory it is full of defensible borders and natural choke-points.

- Whilst "central" in trade terms, it is peripheral geographically. The mountains and desert to the east, the sea to the south and the jungles and mountains of the interior to the south-west give it plenty of geographical anchors.

- The "constant assault" would most likely come from the north and north-west. The north-west is a long way off and attacks will be intermittent if serious, and the north is... well, handle-able. Razz

I think the bigger barriers to a Syannese empire at this point are to be found in the social and geo-political makeup of the Syannese world - there's no real impetus there for an empire yet.

I did touch on the social points of why there is no desire for Pan Syanism. The natural choke points and borders would allow you to create an insulated Empire? Or would it just be a well defended nation state, again my point of saying you will be relevant not huge. Also my definition of Empire is a very pedantic one, "An extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress." By states I consider this to be multiple Ethnicities. Since the spacing in Amau 2 is HUGE, this means you could have the size of an in real life empire, and have one homogenous Ethno-group.

Also you have the sea to the south, pretty sure Civilisation got stalled in the Mediterranean due to naval invaders, you could be attacked from 3 sides, or even 4, depends what is in the desert.
Livid
Livid

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Dillham Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Livid wrote:I bet that Avanti will have the largest Empire in the Bronze Age. Giwi or Daniel in the Iron, and err Unknown in the Ancient Epoch. Syan whilst having the potential to be an Empire will probably be too prosperous to ever have growing room.

You got to be kidding Livid, the two diasporan players getting back with nice empires? Not on my watch. Giwi is going down (again) as usual.

Btw I think i still have quite a good chance for the largest bronze age empire, as I did in the archaic Twisted Evil .

Edit: Yeah yeah, I rephrased.

Last edited by Mr. Dillham on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Dillham
Mr. Dillham

Antal inlägg : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  Avidyasattva Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Destroyed? Who?
Avidyasattva
Avidyasattva

Antal inlägg : 241
Registreringsdatum : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Livid Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Mr. Dillham wrote:

You got to be kidding Livid, the two diasporan players getting back with nice empires? Not on my watch. Giwi is going down (again) as usual.

Btw I think i still have quite a good chance for the largest bronze age empire, as I did in the archaic Twisted Evil .

True, but you never win any money by betting on the obvious horse Wink
Livid
Livid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum